Background and Experience
Tricia Palguta has ten years of experience dealing with school districts in San Diego and Orange Counties as a Special Education Advocate and as a mother to a daughter with Down syndrome. Tricia's daughter was the catalyst for her change in careers, from a stay at home mother who left law to raise her children to a Special Education Advocate. After experiencing the frustrations of dealing with the school district and the denial of services needed by her daughter, Tricia enrolled in the Special Education Advocacy Training course at the University of San Diego to learn more about her daughter’s rights in the school system. She quickly discovered that there were many things that parents do not know, and are not told, about their children’s rights and the different supports and services available to children with special needs. Tricia completed an Internship at the San Diego YMCA COMPASS Special Education Advocacy clinic advocating for underprivileged families with special needs children. She decided to continue to help parents ensure that their children receive the supports and services they are entitled to in order to access their education and succeed.
Tricia puts your child first, while working collaboratively with the school district. She believes in a child-centered approach in which the team works together for the best interests of the student. She understands that the process can be emotional and she is there to support and guide you to the best outcome for your child. She is passionate about helping families navigate the system so their children can access their education while sharing her knowledge so parents can continue to fight for their children throughout their time in school.
Please note that Tricia does not give legal advice and she is not licensed to practice law in California. Any and all advice is provided in her capacity as an advocate, not as an attorney.
Education/Experience Relevant to Advocacy:
- Pacific Coast Advocates, Special Education Advocate 2014-2018
- COMPASS Special Education Advocacy Internship 2014, Special Education Advocate
- Special Education Advocacy Program, University of San Diego 2013, Certificate of Special Education Advocacy
- Washington College of Law, American University, Juris Doctor cum laude 1993
- Providence College, B.A. with honors 1989
- Mother of a child with Down syndrome
- Director, AYSO Region 1505 VIP (Special Needs) Soccer San Elijo 2012-present
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA)
- New York State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- TERI Oceanside
- 1p36 Family Conference